Welcome

Welcome everyone to my blog spot. I hope that you will enjoy the posts that you read and that they encourage, revitalize and empower you in all that you do each and every day, while always remembering to give thanks to our God.



Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Celebrating the Sunday of Finding the Lord in the Temple

 
"Why is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be about my Father's business?" ( Lk 2:49)
Description of the Icon:

The last icon of the Nativity Cycle, for the second Sunday after Christmas, features the Finding of Our Lord in the Temple, amongst the Doctors of Law. In this icon, Christ is represented as young in years, but filled with the wisdom of all eternity. Seated upon a decorative platform, He is raised above the religious teachers, who sit in the posture of students at His feet, amazed at His learning and teaching. They hold scrolls which represent the Old Testament Law and Prophets, while Christ Himself, the living Word of God, is the fulfillment of the law and the prophecies, in Person.


Luke 2:41-52 (English Standard Version)


Jesus as a Boy in the Temple
 41Now(A) his parents went(B) to Jerusalem every year at(C) the Feast of the Passover. 42And when he was twelve years old,(D) they went up according to custom. 43And when the feast(E) was ended, as they were returning, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem.(F) His parents did not know it, 44but supposing him to be in the group they went a day’s journey, but then they began to search for him among their relatives and acquaintances, 45and when they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, searching for him. 46After three days they found him in the temple,(G) sitting among(H) the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48And when his parents[a] saw him, they were astonished. And his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold,(I) your father and I have been searching for you in great distress." 49And he said to them, "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that(J) I must be in(K) my Father’s house?"[b] 50And(L) they did not understand the saying that he spoke to them. 51And he went down with them and came to Nazareth and was submissive to them. And(M) his mother treasured up all these things in her heart.  52And Jesus(N) increased in wisdom and in stature[c] and in favor with God and man.

Notes:
This story of Jesus as a boy in the Temple is one of my favorites.  Growing up in my family home, there in the open in our home was a Bible for everyone to read.  Also, hanging on one of the walls was a picture of Jesus in the Temple just as the Evangelist has written above.  This picture of Jesus in the Temple was a gift to my Mother Theresa Hasham-Dunn from Rt. Rev. Chorbishop Louis Khalil.  This picture of Jesus was a special picture for my mother. This picture now hangs in my home and is constant reminder of the Child Jesus in the Temple, St. Theresa Maronite Catholic Church in Brockton, MA., Rt. Rev. Chorbishop Louis Khalil and my mother.  It is my prayer for you that the Child Jesus will always be with you, today and the coming year ahead.

2 comments:

  1. God bless you Brian...you have come so far and with such wisdom. Jesus lives in your heart and that is the best gift anyone can have. I am so thankful for the many blessings that I have received in my life and one of them is you!! Happy New Year and many blessings to you and your family. I wish you were still at St. Theresa's!! :)..gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail,
    Thank you for reading and sending your comments. My many years at St. Theresa Church have help make me who I am today. It is people like you who have help mold and set a foundation that has created the Brian that you know.
    I am still at St. Theresa, just in spirit. May God Bless you with a wonderful new year ahead and many more.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete